THE IMAGE : Daniel J. Boorstin 01 : pseudo-event
The new kind of synthetic novelty which has flooded our experience I will call “pseudo-events.” false / deceive. p.9.
A pseudo-event possesses the following characteristics:
1) It is not spontaneous, but comes about because someone has planned, planted, or incited it.
2) It is planned primarily for the immediate purpose of being reported or reproduced. its occurrence is arranged.
3) Its relation to the underlying reality of the situation is ambiguous.
4) Usually it is intended to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. p.12.
Here are some charateristics of pseudo-events which make them overshadow spontaneous event:
1) pseudo-events are more dramatic
2) pseudo-events, being planned for dissemination, are easier to disseminate and to make vivid.
3) pseudo-events can be repeated at will, and thus their impression can be re-enforced.
4) pseudo-events cost money.
5) pseudo-events, being planned for intelligibility, are more intelligible and hence more reassuring.
6) pseudo-events are more sociable, more conversable, and more convenient to witness.
7) knowledge of pseudo-events becomes the test of being informed.
8) Finally, pseudo-events spawn other pseudo-events in geometric progression. They dominates our consciousness simply because there are more of them, and ever more.